by Jeanne Kennedy Crosby, D.C.
So you had a cold. Maybe the flu, bronchitis or even pneumonia. You’re pretty much all better, but you still cough. What does it mean when a cough persists, even after you feel otherwise normal?
- You may have some residual mucus in your lungs that you are trying to expectorate (cough up.) Massage around the ribs and chest muscles can help facilitate this.
- You may have a misalignment or muscle strain around your ribs and diaphragm from all the coughing and now your lungs are irritated; you need a chiropractic treatment.
- You may need some nutritional support for your heart after recovering from an infection. This is common. Cardio-Plus by standard Process is a good choice for heart support, and it’s fine for kids, too.
- You may need some nutritional support for you large intestine. Lungs and large intestine are the same element in Chinese medicine, metal. The last time I was sick I had a persistent cough; I took Cholenest, a German homeopathic remedy from Nestmann (we use it here a lot, it’s great for many different things) and my cough disappeared immediately, it was remarkable.
- You may have a lingering immune challenge and need additional immune support, like Congaplex, Antronex, Cyruta Plus, or Immuplex. These are safe and effective natural products that give your natural immunity extra support to resolve symptoms like coughing.
Please let me know if you have been sick and you haven’t stopped coughing. I can choose a remedy for you at your appointment.
Another reason for a chronic cough: exposure to chemicals. When you work or live around sources of chemical pollution, your lungs can be overloaded with detoxifying process. This can require focus on the other main detoxification organs (liver, kidneys, skin, lymphatic system) in addition to lungs. It’s more of a commitment compared to recovering from a cough caused by acute infection, but it’s time and effort well spent to improve overall health.
- Hair stylists, painters, construction and demolition teams, janitors, medical personnel are all exposed occupationally to chemicals that can cause hypersensitivity and symptoms such as coughing.
- People who work in shopping malls with chemically treated clothes and new items that are off-gassing formaldehyde can develop respiratory symptoms and sometimes other symptoms like migraines and skin conditions.
Applied Kinesiology and Nutrition Response Testing offer so many ways to support your body’s natural healing capacities. We have many options here at Better Forever to relieve symptoms such as coughing associated with immune challenges and environmental stress.